Friday, November 14, 2008

Pitching Pennies

One Christmas when I was young, my grandpa taught us all a game he used to play when he was a boy- pitching pennies. We thought it was so fun!

Here's how you play:

Everyone starts out with a certain number of pennies and stands (or sits) a determined distance from a wall. One at a time, each person flicks a penny off of their thumb. When everyone has pitched their pennies, all rush forward to see whose penny is the closest to the wall. That person wins all of the pennies. Play continues like this until one person has all of the pennies and is the winner.

When I was a teacher I used to play this game with a slight variation. The way the students earned the pennies to play with was by answering review questions correctly. That way the students who answered the most questions had the best chance at winning, but it was still fun for the others.

5 comments:

Sandi said...

When I was about 12 or 13 a man in my neighborhood taught us kids how to play this!

Sandi said...

When I was about 12 or 13 a man in my neighborhood taught us kids how to play this!

shaaronie said...

I was just having a conversation with a co-worker about pitching pennies as a child became a craze one summer and how much fun it was. I will share this great way of passing time with my grandkids.

Anonymous said...

I was taught by a high school friend & we would play in our biology classroom before class began. Made us get to class early! Now I am going to teach our family at the rehearsal dinner for our son!

Anonymous said...

My grampa and uncles used to play this with all us kids at family reunions, I can remember learning to play this at age 6. Good times..