Saturday, February 7, 2009

Honeybear Valentine's Gifts


My in-laws gave us a Costco membership for Christmas this year, and so lately I've been having fun exploring there.(The samples alone make it a fun place to hang out!) The other day I made a delightful discovery- cheap vanilla beans! (Or rather, relatively cheap- vanilla beans tend to cost an arm and a leg; these were 10 beans for $11).

I have been positively giddy with the possibilities for these beans ever since they became mine. First on the list- vanilla infused honey for Valentine's Day gifts!

Infusing honey is very easy- just put the bean in the honey and bring to a low simmer on the stove. Turn off the heat, and allow it to steep for about an hour and a half. (Lots of things can be used to flavor honey; apparently lavender is supposed to be wonderful. Here's a website that gives some good instructions)
These honeybears are headed off to my parents, in-laws, and sister and brother in-law so that they can enjoy the honey with their own sweet honeybears.
(Three bears waiting to have their tummies filled. I love how they look mischievously to the right)

No comments: