Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I Spy Bottle

Do you know a child who is going to be traveling on a long car trip soon? Here is an idea for a gift you can surprise him with to help pass the time.

Find a clear plastic container with a lid, and fill it with rice, pebbles, split peas, or whatever else you happen to have on hand.

Along with the filler include little trinkets (safety pins, coins, small plastic animals, even little pieces of paper with things drawn on them if you like). Decide how much filler you want to include. (more, to make it harder, less for easier; the size of the container will also make it harder or easier)

Post a list of the things to be found on the outside of the container.

Include one item that is not listed, and make it some kind of a treat (maybe a note that says "Ask mom for a candy", etc).

For more family and household ideas visit We are THAT Family.

6 comments:

Abbi said...

Cute idea! I think I might have to try that one sometime.

La said...

that IS a great idea! knowing my kids though, i'd for sure have to duct tape the thing shut or it would all be everywhere in the back of my van! ;)

the 6 o'clock stitch said...

You should submit this tutorial in the Mr. Linky for "Make & Tell Monday"! Feel free to jump in every week! I love it!

http://the6oclockstitch.blogspot.com/2009/03/make-tell.html

Theo-Ann said...

I love this--a friend of mine told me about these, because I make these in a pillow form. Our church nursery won't allow cloth toys, but something like this would be great for the toddlers to do.

Heather said...

Fun! We're going on a trip on Sunday and I was just thinking about travel activities.

Thanks!

Sandi said...

I LOVE that idea. You are so creative!