Friday, April 3, 2009

Magnetic Flower Arranging

I've wanted to make some sort of "quiet time" activity for M using a cookie sheet and magnets for a long time now. And it just so happened that the first real free time I've gotten to work on it corresponded to the beginning of Spring here in Texas. So, I guess it's only natural that the cookie sheet theme be flowers.

I used an old, corroded cookie sheet for this project. The paint covers any ugliness. It was important though that I find a sheet that would stick to magnets. (Aluminum wouldn't work)

The flowers are cut-outs from several old Martha Stewart magazines. They are covered with packing tape on both sides for durability. The magnets I put on the back of each flower already had adhesive backing; so that saved a little time. Painting the foliage was the most time-consuming part of the whole thing. (but relaxing and fun, nonetheless)M doesn't really understand the concept of making a bouquet, but she does enjoy moving the "flowies" around on the pan and naming their colors. I think I may store it away for now, and take it out in a few years to be used on car trips.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great idea. I recently did a similar activity for Chicka Chicka boom boom on my blog if you want to check it out.

I love the flower arranging idea! I might try that with my daughter, and will link back here.

Thanks for your wonderful ideas!

Lettie B. said...

What a great idea! Too bad I only have boys (but maybe they would like it too). I'm going to pass a link on to my sisters who both have girls.

Theo-Ann said...

lovin' it! super idea.:)

sarah in the woods said...

Wonderful idea! Beautiful job!

Heather said...

You make such lovely things for your daughter!

Sandi said...

Great idea!

Rob & Michelle said...

You painted those leaves?! They are so beautiful...I looked at the close of picture... very impressive & cute idea
~Shell

Rob and Michelle said...

You painted those leaves?! They are so beautiful...I looked at the close of picture... very impressive & cute idea
~Shell

Sandi said...

Great idea!

Heather said...

You make such lovely things for your daughter!

Siayla said...

This is a great idea. I recently did a similar activity for Chicka Chicka boom boom on my blog if you want to check it out.

I love the flower arranging idea! I might try that with my daughter, and will link back here.

Thanks for your wonderful ideas!