Friday, November 12, 2010

Magnet Paths

If you get a strong enough magnet, you can use it to move a paperclip around on top of a thick piece of cardstock.

This morning I let M draw colored pencil paths between a cluster of flowers, a bee hive, and a pot of honey. I drew a quick sketch of a bee, cut it out and taped it to a paper clip. Then I held the cardstock while M moved the magnet under the bee from place to place and made up her own little stories about the honey-making process.

Keeping the paper clip moving along the right path takes a certain kind of hand/eye coordination. I think just letting your preschooler draw curvy paths on a piece of cardstock and then letting them try to keep the paperclip on the paths would be a fun little challenge in itself.

4 comments:

MaryAnne said...

We just did this last Monday with paper butterflies, and my kids loved it!

Anonymous said...

clever

Sue said...

I like that you let her draw the line as well as follow it.

Sue said...

I like that you let her draw the line as well as follow it.