Monday, September 6, 2010

Sun Upcycled Crayons

It has always seemed like the oppressively hot Texas summers ought to be good for something or other, and now I've found it- I can use the 100+ degree days to melt down old crayon pieces into fun multicolored crayons. I found the idea on Mama Smiles a while back, and tried it last week (because it's definitely still summer here).
I don't know if it is necessary or not, but I surrounded the little cups of crayons with tin foil and covered the whole thing with plastic wrap. They turned out well, and M had fun checking them every day to see how much they had melted. It took about a week for ours to melt.

Outdoor Play Blog Hop

5 comments:

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

Your crayons are so pretty - I love all the colors mixed together!

Laura said...

Do you think it would work in fun-shaped ice cube trays?

Genie said...

I bet that they'd melt even faster inside of a car. OK, I know they would, that was the brown stuff in my 2 year olds car seat! (Thank heavens it wasn't something else!)

Kate from An Amazing Child said...

Wow! That is some hot weather to melt crayons! :) Great little experiment though. I've never upcycled ours. How do they draw compared to before you melted them?

Thanks for sharing this with us. Hope to see you again next week. 

Mama Pea Pod said...

What a fun way to make crayons! Maybe that way wouldn't melt the containers like I did last time I made them in the oven!

Thanks for linking up to our Outdoor Play linky!